In celebration of Mother’s Day, White Bison is pleased to announce TWO exciting new opportunities!
First, White Bison offered a 10% discount off of our Mothers of Tradition & Daughters of Tradition I/II contract trainings. This offer was only available for contract trainings booked during the month of May and scheduled between 6/1-12/31/2018. These programs provide the skills and knowledge needed to live a healthy life as a traditional, spiritual Native American mother and daughter.
To schedule a training, please call (719)548-1000.
Second, White Bison has begun a Mother of the Year program. This award honors women who have established themselves as remarkable mother figures. These women inspire the community with their ability to balance their families, careers, communities and motherhood. The selected Mother of the Year will be recognized on our Facebook Page and in our June Newsletter. The recipient will also receive a recognition letter and gift from us at White Bison.
To submit a nomination, please fill out our Nomination Form.
Thank you to the many individuals who submitted nominations for our first annual Mother of the Year Award. We enjoyed reading the heartfelt stories you all shared about your mothers, grandmothers, foster moms, step moms, friends and mother-figures.
The 2018 Mother of the Year Award recipients are:
Audrey German (Sisseton-Wahpeton Oyate)
Audrey is a role model to everyone who knows her. She goes above and beyond to help people in her community to improve their lives. Audrey works as a Program Manager and has taken on the role of being a sponsor to individuals in recovery from nicotine. Her daughter explains that her mother always, ‘Does what she can to help, love and support others because that is what is in her heart’. Audrey is a good relative, diligent wife, supportive mother and caring grandmother.
Kathy Willcuts (Lakota)
Kathy is kind, loving and a devoted mother to two daughters. She always parents with love and is dedicated to giving her girls the best, most well rounded education that she can provide. Her friend explains that the best advice Kathy gave her was to always, ‘Take time for yourself [and] to feed your spirit’. Kathy also emphasizes the importance of co-parenting and teaching her daughters a wide variety of skills, such as creating natural cleaning products, healthy foods and traditional jewelry.
Motherhood Award – Frequently Asked Questions
- Does the person I nominate have to be my own mother, or can I nominate a friend? You can nominate anyone that has served a motherly role. Nominees do not necessarily have to be the nominators birth mother. They can be a friend, wife, partner, sister, step-mum, foster mum, grandmother, aunty, a member of your community, or anybody else you believe is doing a wonderful job in their role as a mother.
- I live in Canada, can I submit a nomination? Yes. This award is open to anyone residing in the United States and Canada.
- How do I nominate? Nominations will be accepted from 5/1-5/26 11:59 PM MST. To nominate your mother, please fill out our Nomination Form.
- Can I enter as many times as I like? There is no limit to the number of mothers you can nominate however you can only nominate each mother once. Repeated nominations won’t affect entry or judging results.
- When will the finalists and winners be announced? After nominations close on 5/26 11:59 PM MST, White Bison will review the submissions. At least one Mother of the Year will be selected and announced shortly after submissions close. Our recognition gift will be sent out shortly after to the address provided on the nomination form.