The Wellbriety Movement began in the early 90’s and over the years we have developed many cultural based programs to assist our communities recover from alcoholism. We feel strongly that alcoholism is a Family disease and the whole family has to be a part of recovery.
In our Native communities, AA was slow to get started, often because AA was perceived as a “white man’s recovery program”. Slowly, AA started to take root and today is established in many communities.
Although many communities now host AA, the program that is most needed in our communities is Al-Anon, but unfortunately this important program is missing.
It is said, “That more powerful than the march of mighty armies is an idea whose time has come.” We believe that it is time to make a major effort to expand the Al-Anon family program in Indian Country.
Therefore, we are seeking an Al-Anon group who is willing to guide us in this effort. This gathering would follow the Native teaching to include everyone from the four directions…Red, Yellow, Black and White.
The purpose of this gathering would be as follows:
- To attract and identify current activities of Al-Anon in Indian country…both on Reservations and Urban communities;
- To explain Al-Anon and how it can help heal the families of alcoholics;
- To start Al-Anon groups in places where they are needed throughout Indian Country;
- To attract current Al-Anon experiences to explain and help guide the starting of an Al-Anon movement in Indian Country;
- To create a supportive outreach and assistance to start groups;
- To create a sustainable on-going National Gathering to keep the movement growing;
- To organize a committee to keep things moving.